Action on Armed Violence works with the Global Alliance on Armed Violence (GAAV) to reduce the impact of armed violence worldwide. This toolkit aims to help those seeking to do this to report and so reduce the impact of armed violence.
As part of GAAV, the Expert group on security and armed violence reports is dedicated to working with government and non-government stakeholders to produce national and local reports on armed violence and security.
The purpose of creating reports is to:
- Build a comprehensive evidence base on the incidence, impacts and responses to insecurity and armed violence.
- Engage all relevant stakeholders to share information and coordinate approaches to reduce and prevent violence.
- Strengthen evidence-based responses and interventions (policy, practices and programmes) and measure their impact.
To this end, the expert group has developed a comprehensive reporting tool.
Please – watch the below videos and read an overview of this initiative.
VIDEO ONE: Creating national and local reports on security and armed violence
- Video I provides an overview of the purpose and creation process of national reports on security and armed violence.
- It introduces the expert group and the comprehensive reporting tool which combines different information sources – including public health information, crime statistics, household surveys, and conflict and non-conflict data.
VIDEO II: Using the security and armed violence reporting tool
- This video provides an overview of how to create national and local reports on armed violence by using the reporting tool.
- To download the template and guidelines go to the toolkit section below. To access the data gathering spreadsheet for data gathering to produce reports please email the Expert group on security and armed violence reports firstname.lastname@example.org
- Guidelines include information on data sources, periodicity of reporting, the process, role types, terminology and data disaggregation.
VIDEO III: The process to develop reports on security and armed violence
- Video III outlines the process to create national and local reports on security and armed violence. The report guidelines outline different roles and potential data sources.
- The process to develop reports is multi-stakeholder to help obtain different information sources, build trust and social capital between different groups, and to foster collaboration in the design and implementation of interventions.
- Each country will likely approach the process to develop reports differently. The expert group is available to support you in designing this process and can share relevant experiences from other countries.
TOOLKIT TO DEVELOP REPORTS
Templates (Tier I & II) and Guidelines (Tier I & II) are available in English, Spanish, or Portuguese. Visit the online library to download these tools. An excel spreadsheet will help facilitate the collection of different data sets. Email the expert group: email@example.com to access the spreadsheet.
EXPERT GROUP MEMBERS
The expert group on security and armed violence reports aims to:
- Increase the number of countries producing regular reports on security and armed violence; and
- Improve and harmonise practices to collect and record data on violence and crime.
The expert group supports government and non-government stakeholders through:
- capacity development;
- outreach to relevant actors;
- analysis of data; and
- development of evidence-based responses to reduce armed violence.
Did you find this story interesting? Please support AOAV's work and donate.