Location: Geneva, Switzerland
The Arab Program for mine action is the result of a partnership with the Geneva International Centre for Humanitarian Demining. In coordination with other organisations AOP aims to improve the expertise, knowledge sharing, and promote best practices across Arabic-speaking countries.
The initiative does not only aim to provide assist in the national knowledge and performance of its employees, but also seeks to benefit the military and civilian representatives of employees involved in mine action as part of a United Nations peacekeeping operations or other international humanitarian assistance.
The work by the AOP includes:
- Organizing training courses and workshops for collective Arab mine action;
- Facilitate the exchange of personnel and experiences regionally and internationally;
- The mobilization of local and regional Arabic-speaking expertise;
- Translation of documents and publications for Mine Action
- Create a website in Arabic as a primary source of knowledge about mine action.
This profile is part of AOAV’s investigation into counter-IED (C-IED) actors around the globe. To see the list of all C-IED actors recorded by AOAV, see here. To see those engaged in the Middle East, the Sahel, North Africa or other highly impacted countries please see here, here, here, and here respectively. This research was made possible by funding from the NATO Counter Improvised Explosive Devices Centre of Excellence (C-IED COE). To read the full report, ‘Addressing the threat posed by IEDs: National, Regional and Global Initiatives’, see here.
Did you find this story interesting? Please support AOAV's work and donate.