At least 34 people have been killed and about 50 injured in a car bomb blast in the Somali capital, Mogadishu on the 19 February, 2017. The car blew up in the city’s southern Madina district. The blast – which ripped through shops and food stalls – is the first major attack in the capital since the election of President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed earlier this month.
No group has claimed responsibility, although al-Shabab militants are likely to be the prime suspects. On Saturday a senior al-Shabab commander vowed to target the president’s supporters. Sheikh Hassan Yaqub said that anyone who collaborated with the new president – who he described as evil-minded – would be at risk of attack by the Islamist group.
President Mohamed has condemned the bombing and visited some of the wounded, as well as the site of the blast on Sunday. He has offered a $100,000 reward to anybody who supplies information leading to the capture of those responsible.
Some reports said the attack was carried out by a suicide bomber.
Last month at least 28 people were killed in a bomb attack by militants at the Dayah hotel in Mogadishu.
Did you find this story interesting? Please support AOAV's work and donate.